Your roof is one of the most crucial components of your home. It protects you and your family from the elements and helps improve your home’s curb appeal. So, when it comes time to repair, replace, or install a new roof, you want to be sure that you hire a reputable and qualified roofing contractor.
But with so many roofing companies out there, how do you choose the right one?
In this comprehensive guide from T. Simpson Roofing, we’ll help you navigate the process of finding and selecting the perfect roofing contractor for your needs and circumstances.
Let’s get started!
Types of Roofing Contractors
There are two main types of roofing contractors — residential and commercial.
- Residential roofing contractors: As the name suggests, residential roofing contractors specialize in working on homes. They have the experience and expertise to handle all types of roofs, from asphalt shingle to metal.
- Commercial roofing contractors: Commercial roofing contractors are experienced in working on large-scale projects, such as office buildings, warehouses, and other types of commercial properties. They usually have a large team of roofers who are trained in different types of roofing systems.
Of course, if we’re talking about the roof of your home, finding a residential roofing contractor should be the focus of your search.
What Are the Most Common Residential Roofing Problems?
Before we get into how to select a residential roofing contractor, let’s quickly go over some of the most common roofing problems homeowners face.
- Leaks: One of the most common issues, leaks can be caused by a variety of factors, such as missing shingles, cracked flashing, or damaged gutters. If not fixed in a timely manner, leaks can lead to serious water damage.
- Missing shingles: High winds and severe storms can cause shingles to become dislodged or even torn off completely. Damaged or missing shingles leave your roof vulnerable to leaks and other types of damage.
- Ice dams: Ice dams form when melting snow refreezes at the edge of your roof, creating a dam that prevents water from draining properly. This can cause serious damage to your roof and home.
- General wear and aging: Over time, your roof will experience normal wear and tear. As it ages, it becomes more susceptible to damage from the elements.
While these are some of the most common problems homeowners face, there are a variety of other issues that can arise. That’s why it’s so important to have a qualified contractor you can rely on to keep your roof in tip-top shape.
The Benefits of Hiring a Licensed, Reputable Residential Roofing Contractor
There are many benefits to hiring a licensed, reputable roofing contractor. Here are just a few:
- They Have the Expertise
A good roofing contractor will have years of experience in the industry. They will be up to date on the latest techniques, materials, and products. This means they can offer you expert advice on which type of roof is best for your home based on your budget and needs.
- They Use High-quality Materials
A reputable contractor will only use high-quality materials from trusted brands. This ensures that your roof will be durable and long-lasting.
- They Offer Warranties on Their Work
When you hire a reputable contractor, they will offer you a warranty on their workmanship. This protects you in case there are any problems with the roof after it’s been installed.
- They Have Insurance
A good contractor will have insurance to protect you and your home in case of any accidents or damages that occur during the roofing process.
- They Are Licensed and Registered
When you hire a licensed contractor, you can be sure that they have the necessary qualifications to do the job right. In addition, they should also be registered with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and have positive reviews from past clients.
How To Choose a Residential Roofing Contractor
Now that we’ve gone over some of the benefits of hiring a reputable contractor, let’s take a look at how to choose one. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Get Recommendations
One of the best ways to find a good contractor is to get recommendations from people you trust. Ask your friends, family, and neighbours if they’ve used a roofing contractor in the past and if they were happy with the work. You can also check online review sites like Google and Yelp.
- Do Your Research
Once you have a few contractors in mind, it’s time to do your research. Visit their website and read through their About Us page. This will give you an idea of their experience, qualifications, and values. As mentioned above, you should also check to see if they are licensed and registered with the BBB.
- Request a Quote
Once you’ve narrowed down your list, contact each contractor and request a quote. Be sure to ask about the materials they use, the warranties they offer, and their insurance coverage.
- Ask for References
When you’re speaking with potential contractors, be sure to ask for references. This will allow you to hear firsthand about the quality of their work and customer service.
- Ask About Their Services
A great roofing contractor will have a full spread of services, including roofing repair, roofing installation, and re-roofing. They should also be able to handle any type of roof, including shingle roofs, tile roofs, and metal roofs.
- Schedule an In-home Consultation
Once you’ve narrowed down your search, schedule an in-home consultation. This will give the contractor a chance to see your roof and discuss your options. It’s also a good opportunity to get to know them and ask any questions you may have.
- Making Your Final Decision
Be sure to keep the above factors in mind when making your choice. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. A good contractor will be more than happy to answer them.
Choosing a roofing contractor is an important decision. But if you take the time to do your research, you can be sure you’re choosing someone who will do a great job and protect your home for years to come!
T. Simpson Roofing Can Help With All of Your Roofing Needs
If you’re in need of a roofing contractor, look no further than T. Simpson Roofing. We are an award-winning, industry-leading company with over 25 years of experience. We offer a full range of services, including roofing repair, roofing installation, and re-roofing.
We also use high-quality materials from trusted brands, so you can be sure your roof will be durable and stand the test of time!
In addition, we offer warranties on our workmanship and have insurance to protect you and your home. We’re also licensed and registered with the BBB, and we’re proud to say that we have fantastic reviews from past clients.
If you’re looking for a roofing contractor you can trust, contact us today! We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and help you nail down the best course of action for your home.
We look forward to hearing from you!